Don't worry, you can trust me. I'm not like the others.

Banned In China

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Well At Least I'm Not This Much A Part of The Problem

Well, so Madoff sends a million dollars in presents to friends and family and the court doesn't think that he did enough to warrant the revocation of his bail. I would guess that the million is simply a drop in the bucket when you compare it with the amount stolen, but still.

Another interesting thing in this article is the tone. I wonder if it is the start of Madoff as a sort of victim. Poor guy just got caught at the wrong time. The article says that the government is "yielding to public pressure to make an example out of Madoff during the nation's economic troubles." You know he's being made the scape goat for all our financial troubles.

Bullshit.

I would guess that he was betting that he would die before the markets went south. The ponzi scheme could probably have operated as long as the markets continued to expand. Of course no one in power saw this collapse coming, so perhaps he thought he could continue to operate this scam for ever. I wonder how long he would have been out there if his kids hadn't turned him in?

I would think that this would be a perfect plot for Arthur Miller if he were still alive. Of course I guess he kind of already did it.

No comments: