Don't worry, you can trust me. I'm not like the others.

Banned In China

Monday, February 16, 2009

Forgive and Forget


So I'm at home kind of celebrating what I now understand is Washington's and not Washington & Lincoln's Birthdays.

So what do I run into, but Greenwald and Firedoglake commenting on Conason's article arguing that Obama should pardon the Bush people who approved the torture. Now at last a guard from Guantanamo has come out. He talks about massive amounts of torture which are still being justified by those formally in charge.

New information is also coming out about Yoo and the others who wrote the torture justifying memo. A bunch of lawyers violating their oaths. Interestingly enough lawyers don't like other lawyers violating our codes of ethics. We look bad enough as it is.

Lets say you asked me to give you a legal opinion as to whether or not you could smoke crack in your office and I came back and said that in my legal opinion you can't. Then, let's say you offered me something to tell you, you could (or let's just say I'm some sort of pathetic puppy dog who wants your love). After that, if I came back with an opinion that you could indeed smoke crack in your office you might be surprised when the cops came and arrested you (but if you can tie your own shoes, probably not). Guess what, you wouldn't be able to show the cops and the judge that opinion and walk out of the court a free man or woman. Not only that, but I would be referred to the Bar Association and proceedings would be instituted to prevent me from giving such (or any) opinions in the future. One thing that wouldn't happen is that I wouldn't be given a tenured position at a law school.

Of course as Greenwald points out enabling torture is a crime. So Yoo and Bush and those guys are not just enablers, but criminals themselves. By any definition really. My clients often end up in jail or prison. Why not jail for the powerful and wealthy too? Oh wait: powerful and wealthy, I guess I've answered my own question.

So Conason, who was so right about the proceedings against Clinton, is so wrong here. He might be one of those folks Thoreau wrote about who are too limited by their own experiences to see something new.

1 comment:

jusvelos said...

last week the president of madagascar opened fire upon his own people killing 25..20,000 were walking unarmed to the presidental compound to protest presidental abuses of power..$2 a day avg.income.begging,looting and vandalism for survival.he slaughtered 25 of his own people..on sunday he paid to all who come $25 for a photo op in the grand stadium.over 50,000 came for the easy money.. the catholic priests are aghast with the killings,we now wait for his removal from office.Bush slaughtered countless more through ignorance and greed to create fear in the people from 9/11 to iraq and now we have a global financial meltdown as a final result from the actions of these greedy fools..just cant let them walk away freely can we? 1,000,000 to 25 in madagascar.