Don't worry, you can trust me. I'm not like the others.

Banned In China

Monday, May 11, 2009

The End of The Republican Party


You know the last time I remember reading articles and essays about the end of the republican party was in 1965, shortly after the Johnson landslide. All the thoughtful people were busy telling the republicans that they needed to completely change their brand and the American people were entering a new era of liberalism. So unless the republicans started acting more like liberal (still a good word back in those days) democrats they were doomed. Doomed don't you know.

Then came the race riots of the 60s and after that the demonstrations against our little excursion into Vietnam. Then Nixon and his brain trust Lee Attwater and their vile "southern strategy." And right on cue we entered into forty years (at least) of conservative rule. Yes I know that democrats were in control for periods there, but they were democrats who traced their heritage back to the great Grover Cleveland, not FDR or for that matter even Wilson. Conservative democrats, in other words.

So since I like to hear about how the republican party is in its death throws as much as any one..........I'll believe it when I see it. And I hope I see it soon.

No comments: