Don't worry, you can trust me. I'm not like the others.

Banned In China

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Just What Do You Expect


Glenn Greenwald has a very good essay wondering why progressives are shocked and appalled about Obama's picks for his cabinet and his ongoing policies.

Essentially, it's what did you expect? Greenwald's argument is that progressives projected their policies onto Obama. I remember thinking the same thing about Clinton (and Carter for that matter). I guess it's nice to be right. One hell of a lot of good that does you when push comes to shove though.

My understanding Clinton's political position didn't prevent him from being savaged by the right. It merely confused me, because I didn't understand why they hated him so much. I really still don't. On the other hand they got their half a loaf when Clinton was in power and then once they were able to steal the election for Bush they got the rest of their loaf (and most of mine, too). So I guess their game was to get it all.

In looking at how things are playing out right now, it looks like they'll get to devastate the economy and then get to keep what they stole. After getting us to pay for their mistakes.

Speaking about paying for your mistakes, as an aside, the automakers are being made to jump through massive hoops to keep their companies and the jobs that a million or so middle class folks have that are dependant on t he automakers staying in business. The bankers don't have to do anything and they get to keep all the money we throw at them to make sure that their six figure traders keep their jobs.

So I guess the wealthy aren't all equal either. If you create nothing and provide no real benefit for society at large, you are more important to the ruling class, than if you actually do create something, no matter how crappy it might currently be. Of course, I would guess that you get minus points if you actually provide a living for your average worker

So it looks like things are working out perfectly for the ruling class again.

No comments: