Don't worry, you can trust me. I'm not like the others.

Banned In China

Thursday, June 17, 2010

More Depressing Thoughts

One of a Series Linked to below.

So I ran across this the other day, I'm not sure where, but it's now all over Facebook (I don't mean to imply that it was my doing there were over 5000 postings to FB when I saw it). I thought it would be worth while reposting here.

The information isn't something I haven't known about for a long time, but seeing it in graf form is certainly a help. The Class War has been going on a long time, but some how the right wing has been able to convince the majority of Americans at least that it is all being fought by the leftist radicals against the poor and oppressed middle class, when in reality it is the wealthy who have been waging that very war against the middle and lower classes all along.

Unions are for the most part a dirty word in this country, but why I cannot figure out. When I graduated from college in 1975 (about 5 years after I would have had I not accepted my uncle's invitation to spend time in various foreign countries like Thailand and Alabama) I distrusted unions. This was after graduating from Wright State a relatively liberal state school in Dayton/Fairborn a union area. I was not dumb (I don't think although it is true I was stoned), nor was I uneducated, I was after all a history major with a major in late 19th and early 20th century American history. So how did I come by this distrust? A constant hammering by the owners of the media and the various local government folks, like the teachers I guess.

Most of the people I knew were not wealthy, but they were strongly middle class and they didn't like unions telling them what to do. Also, this was the 50s and 60s periods of real growth in the middle class. The concept was that "I am doing this no one is helping me." It fed right into our ideals of who were thought we were. I suspect that this is added to America's ability to simply and quickly forget our very own history (with the exceptions of our very own heroic and always righteous wars).

So now we are in this situation (more frog in the water metaphors?) and yet we cannot see that it will take a great deal of collective action to start to recreate the middle class in the per centages that it existed in the 50s and 60s, if that is even possible at this point.


This is what we get instead:

No comments: